July 31, 2009

Paalam Tita Cory!

Share

I was in the middle of watching series of youtube funny videos when I was informed of the passing away of former President Cory Aquino. I had to text my family back at home, and my some of friends here in KSA to spread the news. Since, I am practically alone and had no one to talk to, I tried to resume watching the videos, only to stare blank at my computer as I could no longer undertstand a thing. And then it sank in. I felt it. It's sad.

In lawschool, I used to engage in great debate (well..actually 'street type' discussions) as to who is a greater Philippine president, comparing her to FVR (whom I personally had a chat during one of the youth camps) and Erap (still Senator then at the time I assisted him in San Beda in one of our Student Council sponsored lectures). These are two great gentlemen who have the ability to persuade and work their charms on issues they believe in. With Tita Cory? Well, I saw her more than a couple of times when I attended morning masses at San Beda chapel. Though we used to sit more than 5 meters away from where she used to sit, I distinctly remember her very vibrant aura. She certainly has the 'arrive' (dating)... but I must admit, I was more engrossed looking at Kris who's always beside her.

I never had the first hand experience of 'People Power' in 1986. At that time, I was still inside the confines of minor seminary. But even then, we could feel the the growing patriotic feeling. It was so warm, it couldn't escape you. Remember, the church people were so proactive in expressing their discontent against Marcos regime, and as hard as they fought to hide their feelings, their words gave way.

And so that's the first time I came to realize the true meaning of the phrase "one in spirit". Even though, we seminarians did not participate in fencing armored tanks and forming human shield against bullets, we were there. Armed with our bibles and rosaries, we were asking the Lord to prevent any bloodsheds from happening.

I can still remember Tita Cory appearing on TV screen encouraging Filipinos abroad to come back, and participate in its development; and asking the nation to "buy Filipino products". I must admit, they where the basis of my strong beliefs and my advocacies in writing my e-newsletter SAWALI and the book KAPENG ARABO. Yeah, though I always say, I only wrote kalokohan, but really...that is the message I am trying to impart - that we Filipinos abroad should do our share in building the nation, and that should start from our desire to come back.

They say it is history who will judge one's performance. And as the events are unfolding before us, I'd say Tita Cory may have done a real good job. With her honesty in governance, her non-hesitation to relinquish her post after her term, placing the mechanics to ensure that our freedom may not be taken away once again, she is perhaps our best President so far.

To Tita Cory, the Philippine's symbol of democracy and shining example of ethical leadership, a job well done. Farewell!

1 comment:

Appreciate your comments.